The benefits of hypnotherapy. Many people worry about the harmful effects it could have, but hypnotherapists and research have made sure that there are no side effects (Peiffer, 2013). However, the benefits include:
1. Hypnosis can help to treat addictions. This treatment helps a person to regain his thoughts which further helps him to make the right choices. Furthermore, it helps to alleviate the physical symptoms of addiction however the long term benefit is that it makes you leave the addiction for good so that you don’t relapse and become addicted again.
2. The procedure helps you lose weight and keep it off rather than putting it on again. Although is one of the most rewarding benefits of hypnotherapy it can also be one of the hardest. Some people need the required amount of motivation before they can kick share their diet and hence most therapists recommend that this should be done for a month to see the best results.
3. Hypnosis helps to reduce stress. Stress usually causes a lot of illnesses among people for e.g. heart diseases, high blood pressure, obesity, etc. if you are tired of the stress in your life, and your body is always in the high alert state then hypnosis would help you a great deal since it relaxes you. This also helps you deal with anxiety and depression since it calms you down
4. Hypnosis can help deal problems from childhood. From serious abuse to other problems hypnotherapy helps you forget those memories and replaces them with good memories because when you are in the state of hypnosis, you tend to listen to whatever advice is given and keep it in your mind for long
5. Hypnosis helps with sleep disorders. Millions of people are not able to sleep properly or face problems like a night terror. This, in turn, causes more problems for example obesity. Most of these disorders are associated with psychological conditions that make it important for people to have such treatments in order to be more relaxed and have good nights sleep.
6. Hypnosis helps to change your behavior. Some people tend to be more irritated and angry. Hypnosis helps to change these behavior patterns which are mostly learned in childhood and replaces with positive behaviours which the person can practice. This helps the person live a healthier and happier life.
7. Hypnosis helps in recovering buried memories. If you have lost touch with some parts of your brain which have your childhood memories which can help in case of an accident or injury hypnosis helps to recover it.
8. Hypnosis can ease symptoms of irritable bowel syndrome and also helps in easing the pain as it is useful in calming down your muscles.
Disadvantages of Hypnotherapy
1. Hypnosis only works if the person is willing and focused on healing. The hypnotherapist helps and guides you but the major chunk of participating and dedicating time and space to the specific task depends on the person.
2. This is not necessarily a quick fix. In some situations, it was seen that hypnotherapy was a quick fix in terms of eliminating a lifelong energy or chronic pain. In others 4 to 6 sessions were needed along with the person learning hypnotherapy himself to have permanent healing.
3. Whatever is said during hypnotherapy, if accepted, tends to have a concrete effect on your life. At times you might accept things that you regret later on in life.
Heap, M. (2012). Hypnotherapy. Maidenhead, England: McGraw-Hill.
Peiffer, V. (2013). Principles of Hypnotherapy. London: Jessica Kingsley Publishers.
Turturean, M. (n.d.). Hypnotherapy for Anxiety Disorders — Theoretical and Practical Approach. SSRN Electronic Journal.